Free Web Site Counter
University A Conservative Harvest: A Boston Tea Party …(Would Have You)

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

A Boston Tea Party …(Would Have You)

On Saturday night as the elections in Iraq were about to begin my wife and I were watching pictures of empty polling places. She commented that why would anyone want to risk their life to go out and vote. I replied, “Assume that you’re a 40 year old man in Iraq and your family and relatives had been tortured and/or murdered by Saddam Hussein. You are the only person left in your entire family and have lived with the misery that Saddam had brought to your life. Would you not say the hell with it…….there is no way anyone is keeping me from voting today? I am going to vote regardless of the potential of me losing my life. Because my life is not worth much as I sit here today. The only way I can get any satisfaction is to vote and say Saddam stick my vote up you’re a$$”.

It took personal courage be each and every Iraqi citizen to do what they did on Sunday. It was a day when they put their future ahead of their past. I know I would have joined them in voting. I wonder would have you? Everyday I become more shocked by how few people are genuinely involved in the happenings of their own government. People are so busy with their everyday lives that they fail to pay attention to things that affect those very lives. Who we elect matters. Why you elect them matters. What they do after they are elected matters. It is too bad that so few pay any attention. Our government takes OUR own money from us and many people aren’t even concerned with how it is spent. In life we often get what we deserve. These walking zombies, who would have a tough time telling you who the secretary of state is, should not complain. If more people were engaged in the process, American citizens would be more empowered to prevent the government from screwing us. Whether it be open borders for Mexican illegal aliens or spending nearly a billion dollars for a bridge for 12,000 people in Alaska, the federal government counts on a majority of the people being to busy to care. I have a hard time believing that a person in Iraq who has suffered so much will ever have such a careless attitude. Sacrifice for liberty, heck to many just take it for granted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home